Project name: UNDP/GEF project Development and Implementation of the Lake Peipsi / Chudskoe Basin Management Program
Project period: January 2003 - December 2005
Project manager:Ms. Natalia Alexeeva
Peipsi Center for Transboundary Cooperation, Sankt-Peterburg, Russia, email@example.com
The project was launched to develop the Lake Peipsi/Chudskoe Basin
Management Program in accordance with the Estonian Water Act, European
Water Framework Directive, and the Russian Water Code. The project was
implemented in Estonia and Russia.
About the project
The overall objective of the Project was to develop and start implementation of a Lake Peipsi/Chudskoe Basin Management Program including practical recommendations for the Lake Peipsi/Chudskoe nutrient load reduction and prevention and the sustainable conservation of habitats and eco-systems in the cross-border region.
The project substituted for uncoordinated small-scale projects that otherwise were implemented separately on the Estonian and Russian sides without sufficient coordination, education and public information components and without taking into account interests of local stakeholder groups and wider public. The project had been designed to meet the needs of the Estonian and Russian Governments, Joint Estonian-Russian Transboundary Water Commission, local governments in the Lake Peipsi/Chudskoe area, regional and local NGO, schools and the general public.
The project was supported by the Global Environment Facility (www.gefweb.org), Estonian Government (www.riik.ee/en/valitsus), Russian Government (www.government.ru),
EU TACIS Baltic Line 2000 in Russia, EU 5th RTD program project MANTRA
East, EU LIFE program in Estonia, MATRA program Dutch government, US
Baltic NGO fund, Danish EPA infrastructure projects in Pskov.
- Lake Peipsi/Chudskoe Basin Water Management Programme
- Programmes for the development of environmental education in the Lake Peipsi region. Estonian case study
- Feasibility study and a concept development for ecological farming in the Lake Peipsi/Chudskoe basin
- Transboundary diagnostic analysis of Lake Peipsi/Chudskoe
- REPORT PEIPSI FORUM IV
- The Development Plan Regarding the Public Water Supply and Sewerage System in the Räpina Rural Municipality
- The impact of forest management on the water environment on the Estonian side of the Viru-Peipsi sub-basin
- Extraction of peat and the reduction of the concurrent impact on ground and surface water in the Viru-Peipsi sub-basin
- Proposals for coordinated monitoring strategy and monitoring programme on the Lake Peipsi/Chudskoe Ozero
Water protection measures
- Lake Peipsi Basin Management Program as a strategic document was developed for the Estonian-Russian Transboundary Water Commission, Estonian and Russian authorities as required by the EU, Estonian and Russian water legislations.
- Public and stakeholder involvement plan was prepared as a part of the Basin Management Program
- Development plan for an innovative and cost effective sewage treatment for a small rural community as a demonstration project in Estonia.
- Coordinated program for surface water monitoring between the two countries on Lake Peipsi prepared.
- Specific recommendations for reduction of the nutrient load
Regional Development activities
- A feasibility study was conducted and a strategy for the development of water- and ecological tourism in the Lake Peipsi region was drafted in cooperation with regional and local authorities and stakeholders.
- Development of tourism routes in pilot areas - in Estonia (Räpina) was prepared.
- Establishment of the Lake Peipsi museum - one on the Estonian side
of the Lake (Kallaste town) and one on the Russian side of the lake
Environmental Education and Public Participation
- Establishment of the "Lake Peipsi/Chudskoe Region Water Club" as a network of stakeholder groups and a local chapter of the Global Water Partnership. Organization of annual events on the lake "Peipsi Forum".
- Interactive regional website in Estonian, Russian and English using Internet GIS and a semi-moderated listserv in three languages to facilitate communication and an information exchange system among stakeholders. The interactive Internet based GIS that encourages sharing the environmental data about Lake Peipsi region.
- Environmental education curricular for schools on eutrophication related issues for teachers and schoolchildren from primary and high schools.
- Public information on project and eutrophication problems in the
mass media: brochures about the project and the Lake Peipsi Basin
Management Program, guidance documents for local authorities,
stakeholders on the Management Plan implementation; regular
press-releases, articles, TV and radio interviews, printed materials.
Estonian Ministry of the Environment www.envir.ee
Ministry of Natural Resources of the Russian Federation www.mnr.gov.ru
United Nations Development Programme Russia www.undp.ru
Peipsi Center for Transboundary Cooperation www.ctc.ee